Monday 4 August 2014

South to North...Day 2: Buffalo, New York

DAY 2
Monday, July 14, 2014
Buffalo, New York, USA
Weather: Sunny, 26 celsius

Today I woke up early to tackle some emails and review our route for the trip.
We also took a dip in the pool for about 5 minutes (it was a little cold!)
After the short swim, we went to look for breakfast and came across a little diner down the road from the hotel, and also a Tim Hortons where we picked up some coffee.
Then back to the hotel to figure out the hitch. We stopped at the hotel's arcade room on the way, for a little de-stressing.
It was my first time playing Pacman (well, it was actually Ms. Pacman).
Then we got to work. The hitch was only about 2 inches off the ground, so we decided to shift things around in the trailer to put more weight at the back, in the hope that it would lift the hitch to a safer height. We took everything out, weighed it, and rearranged it.... THREE TIMES! The heaviest thing was our bass amp (78 lbs!), which you can see in the photo below, standing beside Ricardo. After all morning in the sun, despite slathering on sunscreen, I managed to get a bit of a sunburn.
Unfortunately, after rearranging all morning, the hitch was still only 2 inches off the ground.
So we considered our options...
Option 1: Bring some belongings back to our house in Canada
Option 2: Buy a truck with a hitch
Option 3: Whine and complain and have the urge to throw everything away
Option 4: Ship some belongings to lighten the load

After we ruled out 1 and 2, I settled on Option 3 for a while.... and then we eventually worked towards Option 4. It was getting late and we forgot to eat lunch, so we decided to take a break and went to the Walden Galleria for an early dinner. 

Back at the hotel, we made some phone calls but didn't have much luck getting transportation quotes, so the guys went to K-Mart for some beer and we called it a night. It seems strange to me that you can buy beer at K-Mart, but maybe just because I'm used to the Canadian LCBO and Beer Store. I've always enjoyed browsing the aisles and discovering new beers and wines.
Fiddler on the Roof was on TV in our hotel room. When I was 12 years old, my brother gave me the original sound track to Fiddler on the Roof. It was the very first CD that I ever owned, so I know all the lyrics... and it made me feel nostalgic. 

Up next... Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment